Tomato Zucchini Soup
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, minced
1 Small fennel bulb or 2 celery ribs, minced
1 carrot, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ounce ham, minced (optional)
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable brother
2 cups diced and seeded tomatoes
2 cups grated zucchini
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, fennel, carrot, garlic, and ham. (if using) Saute until the vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes
3. Add the zucchini and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the zucchini is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
4. Serve hot.
I modified things a bit…
- I used butter instead of olive oil
- I opted to use 5 stalks of celery instead of the fennel or 2 celery ribs
- I forgot to buy a carrot…
- I used about 10 cloves of garlic
- I didn’t use ham
- I probably used about 6 cups of chicken broth and could probably use a bit more due to all the extra stuff I added – most of it absorbed the liquid….
- I used a 24 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- I used about 6 cups of zucchini
- I added a 10 oz. container of sliced mushrooms
- I also mixed in a pound of mini shell pasta
It came out really really yummy!
I highly recommend….
Do any of you have any good recipes that use ingredients from your garden?
I’d love it if you shared.
If you enjoy cooking, please feel free to join Rose’s Recipe Group over on Facebook.
Please comment and subscribe.