Sorry I’m posting this up so late. I’ve been letting Michael use my computer since his crashed and sharing isn’t so easy when it comes to my laptop….
Last night was the Times Union’s “Media 2010: How Blogs Shape The New Conversation” in the Touhey Forum in the Thelma P. Lally Building at The College of St. Rose in Albany, NY. They had a panel of their top bloggers to speak and answer questions from the audience. They had a video of some local bloggers who spoke briefly about what their blogs were about. One I found amusing was the Parent to Parent blog. Tracy Ormsbee said I’m here to give you parenting advice from an experienced standpoint and Jennifer Gish said something along the lines of “I’m kind of the parenting how not to, I’m the train wreck you can’t turn away from.”
They mentioned that the Times Union “readership” is split into thirds:
- 1/3 of readers only read the paper
- 1/3 of readers only read online
- 1/3 of readers read blogs and the paper
- The TU blogs have an average of about 1,300 comments day
- There are over 150 blogs on the Times Union site
There were many other statistics given, but I don’t remember them all.
The blogger Libby Post writes a blog about LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans-gender) issues. I would guess that she has one of the most controversial blogs on the site. She seemed to handle herself with confidence and reasonableness. She spoke about how she approves 98% of the comments that come through the site. The 2% that are denied are erroneous, make no sense, or they advocate violence. I think that’s very fair on her part. She’ll let comments through that disagree with her and that’s good for adult discussions if you ask me. She did speak about people posting anonymous comments. No blogger likes when people post anonymously. She made the comment about “the cowardice of anonymity.” I’m a big believer that if you’re not willing to put your name to a statement you’re going to make, then you probably shouldn’t be making the comment. Michael spoke a little bit about it in his blog today as well….
I’m so glad that the Times Union sponsored this event and they had a great turn-out. Below are some other people that were there, were mentioned, or weren’t there – but I like their local blogs. I’m going to put them in alphabetical order so nobody thinks I’m showing preference.
- Steve Barnes – Table Hopping – @TableHopping
- Greg Dahlmann & Mary Darcy- All Over Albany – @AllOverAlbany
- Kristi Gustafson – On The Edge – @KristiGustafson
- Michael Henry – The World Through My Lens – @tcrpmg
- Jennifer Hernandez – Sweetly Tart – @Jenh718
- Michael Huber –
- Rob Madeo – Man of a Certain Age – @rmadeo
- Kevin Marshall – Kevin Marshall – @KevinMarshall
- Amy Mengel – Mengel’s Musings – @AmyMengel
- Chuck Miller – Chuck Miller
- Daniel Berman – Fussy Little Blog – @my50Cheeses
- Naomi Seldin – Simpler Living – @SimplerLiving
- Amanda Taler – Amanda Taler
- Kari Vanalstine – Chronicles of Chronic Pain & Wreckless Abandon – @marilyth
- Cathy Woodruff – The Advocate
Check out some of their blogs and let me know what you think. Leave them comments and show them some love. We all love blog visits, but we love comments even more. 🙂
Do you have a blog? If I don’t read your blog, tell me your link so I can check it out.
Please comment and subscribe 🙂