I found this recipe in The Classic Zucchini Cookbook.
I highly recommend this cookbook, especially if you have zucchini growing in your garden.
There was a funny joke – Why do New Yorkers (or wherever you’re from) have to lock their car doors every August?
To keep people from filling their cars with zucchini of course!
When I told my Mother that joke, she laughed and told me that my Aunt used to put zucchini in people’s cars down in Pennsylvania. So it’s a joke based on truth!!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
1-3/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 5×9-inch loaf pans.
2. Combine the sugar, eggs, and oil in a large bowl. Beat until well blended. Stir in the zucchini and vanilla
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and baking powder.
4. Add the flour mixture to the zucchini mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
5. Bake the loaves for 1 hour, or until a tester inserted in the centers comes out clean.
6. On wire racks, cool the breads in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert onto the racks and cool completely.
Makes 2 loaves
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Please comment and subscribe.