[tweetmeme] Last month I read an article about baking soda for camping in the Hints From Heloise column.
If you are planning a summer camping trip, there’s one essential item you should add to your checklist: It’s my favorite – baking soda. It will be useful for many things:
- Freshen sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots or back-packed clothing by sprinkling with baking soda. Do this the night before leaving and then take the items outside and give them a good shake or two to remove all the baking soda.
- You can extinguish most campfires by pouring baking soda on them. Before leaving the campsite, you must be sure to double-check that the fire is completely out.
- Out of deodorant or forgot to pack it? Dust your underarms with baking soda, and you’re ready for the day.
- No toothpaste? mix a little baking soda with water and put it on your toothbrush.
- Burned dinner in a camping pot? Use baking soda to get it sparkling clean without a lot of scrubbing. Sprinkle in enough baking soda to cover the bottom of the pan, along with enough water to moisten. Let it sit, and then scrub the gunk out.
What tricks do you know that use baking soda while camping or around your house?
I know that placing baking soda in your refrigerator will help remove odors… what else have you got?
Please comment and subscribe.